Lectio Book Awards’ mission is to encourage avid recreational reading, while also providing literary resources that support faculty in educating the whole-child. Lectio selections for middle grade readers (4th-8th) focus on books of high quality and high interest that feature diverse characters, thematic elements, and/or authorship.
- Support student passion for reading quality literature that heightens their critical thinking skills and instills within them the global competencies and empathy that are vital for all citizens of our connected world
- Build library collections that feature diverse literature in a variety of genres and formats that appeal to student interest
- Provide a means for curricular collaboration within school communities
Criteria for Selection:
- Literary quality
- Interest potential
- Special consideration will be offered to literature that is diverse in characters, authorship, perspectives, timely thematic issues, and format.
- Book buzz, especially surrounding literary awards and “best of” lists
- Middle grade titles (grades 4-6, but of a quality & sophistication likely to also capture grades 7-8)
- Supports curriculum and/or recreational reading
- Published within 3 years of Selection Committee viewing. Religious-themed materials may be published within the last 5 years.